|Name||Laurence Nelson (?)|
|Alias(es)||CENTINELS Commander/Wonder-Red (Emeritus)/Pompadour Paragon (Emeritus)/|
Wonder-Captain/Unwavering Veteran (Wonder-Captain)
|Number||104 (Emeritus), 106 (Wonder-Captain)|
|Age||56 (Wonder-Captain), 36 (Wonder-Red)|
|Weight||72kg (Wonder-Red), 64kg (Wonder-Captain)|
|Assignment||Las Vegas (Emeritus)/CENTINELS (present)|
|Occupation||CENTINELS Commander/Wonderful One (formerly)/English Gentleman (Emeritus)|
|Weapon||Captain Drill (Emeritus/Wonder-Captain)|
|Voice Actor||English: Gideon Emery|
Japanese: Yasuhiro Mamiya
- "Virgin Victory, engage!"
- ―Laurence Nelson, catchphrase
Laurence Nelson is one of the main characters in The Wonderful 101. He is commander of the CENTINELS Planetary Secret Service, but he is secretly unveils himself as the original Wonder-Red, though he is playable in Operation 006 and a secret, playable character.
Nelson has another secret and playable ego, known as Wonder-Captain.
Personality and traitsEdit
Commander of the CENTINELS’ Blossom City field office. Skilled at ship combat, Nelson pilots the CENTINELS’ state of the art warship, the Virgin Victory. He is a tested general who has won countless battles with his sharp instincts and precise judgment; his ability winning him not only the utmost of trust from his superiors, but also the unwavering respect of those who follow him. 20 years ago, during the Earth Defense War II, he fought on the front lines as a Wonderful One, leading the Earth Federation Army to victory. Through this experience he understands the harsh missions the current team must face, and watches over the Wonderful Ones with a stern but kind stance.
A devoted lover of tea, the figure of Nelson with a teacup in his hand, regardless of how dire the situation may be, is a picture of reassurance and hope for the team.
During missions, he issues orders to the members from inside the flagship the Virgin Victory. When he was young, he was a dyed-in-the-wool fighter himself, and it is even said that he was such a hot-blooded and impulsive soldier that he dove into enemy territory straight away. However, now that he is more experienced and has faced death numerous times, more often than not it is he who chides the more foolhardy members of the team. Even Wonder-Blue, the most reckless of the bunch, is easily shut up when in Nelson’s intimidating presence.
As the original Wonder-Red, his Unite Morph was the Unite Drill, a short-ranged but potent Unite Morph that could deliver multiple hits with a single strike.
Pause Quotes Edit
Operation 000 Edit
- "The mission comes first, get back to it!"
Operation 001 Edit
- "Get back here this instant! The world depends on you!"
Operation 002 Edit
- "Pausing this game is not what I'd consider "Wonderful"!"
Operation 006 Edit
- "So is this a repeat of Operation 1 or Operation 2?"
Operation 009 Edit
- "You're not supposed to text while driving, nor while controlling Earth's last chance to stop an alien invasion."
Trophy Quotes Edit
Gold Trophy Edit
- "Well Done Team!"
Silver Trophy Edit
- "Could've been better."
Bronze Trophy Edit
- "I expect more of you team!"
- In some QTE fails, if the player fails to draw on the WiiU GamePad (or with the right stick) to perform Unite Morphs during a QTE, you can see Commander Nelson sipping tea, and seeing an error image on the monitor, causing him to spurt and choke out his drink and accidentally burn his hand by his tea. This QTE failure is repeated several times throughout the game and starts showing up in Operation 002.
- Commander Nelson resembles Captain Blue from the Viewtiful Joe games and serves a similar role, being the predecessor of the main protagonist.
- If Commander Nelson's eyes are shadowed, then he may be the first and only character with an eye color that is indeterminate. However, Nelson's eyes are capable and revealed when he talks about Will's past, and one is also shown right before the final QTE.
- If the game is paused with the + and - buttons or the pause button on the GamePad touch screen, Neslon will, through the GamePad, scold the player.
- When the player completes a level and gets a trophy, Nelson will say something based on what trophy the player gets.