The game focuses on fighting enemies using a sword and multiple subweapons to perform combos and counterattacks. Through the use of Blade Mode, Raiden can dismember cyborgs in slow motion and steal parts stored in their bodies. The series' stealth elements are also optional to reduce combat. The game was originally announced in 2009 under the title of Metal Gear Solid: Rising, and was intended to take place between the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This form of the game was to be produced solely by Kojima Productions. However, the team met with difficulties in developing a game based on swordplay, so executive producer Hideo Kojima canceled it. A solution was found, in late 2011, with Platinum Games taking over development. Under the guidance of the new team, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was revealed, with a significant change in the play mechanics and storyline. Kojima Productions retained responsibility for the game's overall plot and Raiden's design.
Connections to The Wonderful 101Edit
- In Operation 004, Blue performs a Zandatsu fashion to the pipe, similar to Raiden's in the Prologue.
- When Walltha is told of his brother's death, he claims that he will not fight for "revengeance", keying Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
- A gag presents that Vorkken's Meizerr smashes through an Envan during the escape from Jergingha, holding the Envan's power cell in its jaws, which it promptly crushes, just like Raiden does when he performs a Zandatsu.
- It is ironic that Vorkken's voice actor, Quinton Flynn, also provides the voice of Raiden.
- Vorkken also serves a role similar to that of Jetstream Sam, who served as a rival to Raiden, having the exact same swordfighting skills with additional abilities. Vorkken is similar because he both serves as a rival to the Wonderful 100 and uses all of the Wonderful 100's Unite Morphs, plus some additional ones (Unify Boomerang, Unify Naginata and Unify GEATHJERK/Monster.)
- A few voice actors from the Wonderful 101 also provide roles of other characters from Metal gear Rising: Revengeance, besides Flynn:
- J.B. Blanc provides the voices of Wonder-Yellow, Boris Vyacheslavovich Popov, and additional voices of both games.
- Kari Wahlgren provides the voices of Wonder-Green, Courtney Collins, and additional voices to Revengeance.
- Christina Pucelli provides the voices of Sunny Emmerich, Wonder-Cheerleader, and additional Wonderful Ones.